Saturday 2 February 2013

Day 2 - no added sugar challenge

How amazing is this challenge??

THANK YOU foremost for taking the time to come visit and read my blog every day. Truly. Thank you.

It's so amazing to see so many of you take charge and embrace this challenge with me (along with @tonnedtannedandfit  and @littlemissnutrition who are also collaborating with me in IG land). It never ceases to amaze me all the wonderful comments I receive daily. If I ever miss them (particularly on Instagram as it only gives me the last 2 minutes feed) please ensure you leave a comment on my blog as I have more control of viewing comments and responding here to you.

So what's news pussy cat??? For those that don't know already.....









Our challenge was featured in the amazing Move, Nourish and Believe blog!!!! This is a dream come true!!! One of Australia's most recognisable active wear and fitness-inpsired brand names Lorna Jane and @lornajaneactive team are participating and supporting our no added sugar challenge this month!!!


What I ate today.....


Breakfast
Scrambled eggs (2 eggs) with spinach, tomato and spring onions

Snack
Skin refresher juice (I use a HUROM juice extractor)
1 cucumber
1 red delicious apple
6 sprigs of mint
1 handful of parsley

(thanks to beautiful @chaudsjuicetherapy for posting this and supporting our no added sugar challenge, please go and like her Facebook and Instagram page)

Lunch 
Tuna vegetable salad

Snack
1 pear with 1.5tsp peanut butter & sprinkled cinnamon 

Dinner
Beef quinoa soup with vegetables

Quinoa vegetable beef soup

I make things pretty quick and relatively easy for myself so this is what is cooking in our kitchen this afternoon.


Ingredients:
1 onion finely diced
2 garlic crushed
500g beef strips (you can use whatever meat/poultry you like)
1/2 cauliflower head
1 carrot julienne sliced
1 brocolli head
1/2 red and green capsicum (AKA bell pepper) finely diced
1ltr beef stock (or however much soupy you like, add more water)
handful of chopped coriander
1 cup of cooked quinoa
S&P


Quinoa vegetable and beef soup



Method:
1). In a large pot sauté onions, add garlic, carrots, capsicums and lightly cook until golden.
2). Add beef and continue cooking.
3). In the mean time cook quinoa as per packet instructions
4). Once everything is cooked, add broccoli and cauliflower, beef stock and simmer until cooked.


I am so grateful I watched 60 Minutes that night when they featured Sarah Wilsons I QUIT SUGAR journey. As I too start and learn to omit sugar completely from my family's diet. I was a bit hesitant cutting it out completely last year when I grabbed the book, but willing to give it a go this time....


SO YAY!!! For Day 2 everyone and for those that accidentally had sugar today, always remember that you can make the change next time you eat. How did you go today? What was the hardest thing?

See you tomorrow!!
Xx Dani

6 comments :

  1. Today I realised how difficult this would be. I never add sugar anywhere, that's not the problem. The problem is, everything has added sugar in! I nearly had a fit reading my almond milk bottle: sugar.
    Apart from that I managed to say no to baked beans, ice cream, chocolate, biscuits, and it feels fine!
    Olivia xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Olivia. I completely agree, when you break it down and check the labels on MOST foods we eat.....it has sugar! That's why if we are mindful of products we purchase or at least try and reduce the grams of sugar per serve (4g=1tsp sugar) well then we are half way there!!! Thanks for joining the challenge, we can do this!!! xxDani

      Delete
    2. Oh, I know what you mean! I was at the grocery store and almost pulled my hair out trying to find something without added sugar! I just joined today (is that ok?) so starting to cut out sugar!

      Delete
    3. It's never too late to join. Yes very annoying that most foods contain added sugar!

      Welcome and come again to let me know how you are going in my daily posts xxDani

      Delete
  2. The first two days were pretty simple. Got through them with more success than expected. But my god am I feeling it today. This has to be one of the hardest things I've ever done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Crystal, things get tougher the longer we do them until it becomes second nature and you are rid of that white devil once and for all!! Well at least let's try and do it for 14 days straight!! Thanks for posting and come back tomorrow xxDani

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment, I love it! I will reply back as soon as I can.

Much love Xx Dani