Sunday 12 August 2012

1st birthday party celebrations

Happy birthday to my 2 gorgeous kids this week. Of course Noah's 7th bday on Wednesday and our beautiful Zali's 1st bday yesterday....

"WHO ME?????"

Zali Mirjana Stevens born 11/08/11


"ONE already???? I've had a ball this year, thanks for welcoming me into this world" said Zali

Well not really, I'm her narrator at this point in time....

Yes it has flown. This entire week has been a blur as there has been soooo much happening. Mind you I have been one man down as the LOMF (love of my life) has been extremely unwell with the flu but is slowly on the mend. I am so thankful for all the lovely people that helped me this week and pulled off one kick a double s party celebration!!!

Where do I begin??? Oh yes, grab yourself a coffee or get comfy as this is going to be one lengthy post. I'll be more visual, as I'm time poor with my writing..... besides a picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll take a short cut!

Decorations

My lovely girlfriend came for a coffee on Thursday and was such a great help when I started party prepping for Zali's bday. We folded, we snipped, we zig zagged, we hung, we stuck etc.... and came up with the final design of Zali's fringe garland.

garland idea

The letters for ZALI's name was just a font printed which I cut out on love heart shape card stock which I then stuck on plain white card stock paper, from a scrap book paper shop.

Then I had plans to start baking this 4 level tiered cake which I saw on this site  .... fingers crossed that my first attempt worked out as it had to beat the epic rainbow cake I did for Mietta's 2nd birthday last year.....



Back to Zali's cake.....I decided to make a vanilla base butter cake (20" pans x4) but decided to make a double batch so I could have them for these cupcakes....


So here is my 4 tiered cake attempt. I'd love to share with you the butter cake recipe however I promised my beautiful friend Julie who runs her own business Sugar and Spice Custom Cakes in Canada that I would not divulge her secret recipe.

I simply had red dye and added different strengths for the dusty pink, baby pink and bright pink

I left the first layer as the natural butter cake colour and then started icing with the famous Swiss Meringue which is such a beautiful tasting icing.


I wanted to swirl a light baby pink top layer into the actual cream coloured icing followed by lilac but I need more practise. Not bad for my first attempt.


Okay.... now to dress the table with all the pretty pink, white and lilac sweet things....

1. thank you macaroon bags 2. pink roses 3. sugar free pink milk 4. pink crackle & marshmallows 


All in all a wonderful day with the help of my sister in law, mother in law and step mother for bringing platters of food and fruit and we can't thank Celeste enough for taking the beautiful photos x



The birthday table......



All I did was the cake and cup cakes, whoop-di-doo-da!!!!

It did look pretty though......



Zali had the first taste test!!!!



And it did taste and look amazing when we cut her first BIG slice....



She was into it!!!!!



Yummy pink milk (sugar free of course!)





Time to blow out the candles.....or rather candle!



Here's our family picture with Mietta's famous wink!!! What a classic!


There you have it!!! A pretty amazing first birthday for Zali, which I thought I would do with a BIG BANG!!!! It's the LAST 1st bday party bash I'll be hosting!

Now back to food and other stuff, real quick. As it may be information overload!!

Breakfast
Traditional crepes (sandwich) with yogurt, raspberries and walnuts



How I make them.......



1. ingredients 2. blitz it all together 3. pan fry 4. serve

Although this time with a twist, I mashed a banana in the mix. Blitz wholemeal flour, 2 eggs, milk and banana and serve away!!!

Morning snack
Fruit salad with yogurt



Lunch
Coconut veg & chick pea curry


Method
I sautéed onions, zuchinni and carrots with some curry. Added a can of chickpeas, cooked them for a couple of minutes, added coconut milk, low simmer and allowed to evaporate until I got a nice creamy consistency.

Afternoon snack
Fruit smoothie



Dinner
Grilled flat head with roasted potatoes, cucumbers and asparagus







****Ab challenge & exercising 
starts back this week****

I haven't forgotten about our ab challenge peeps. So for those interested, let's touch base here as I would like to lock in our ab exercise regime, start date, pictures so we have before and after shots. Happy for you to just take a mid section picture (no head shots required) eg: above your pants and under your bra top/pectoral region :-) let me know if you are happy to share otherwise keep them as a before and after shot for your own personal journal.

For my FYM's Mary, Michelle and Sheri we have our TT12 system. Celeste you have your own personal ab program from Fitting In Fitness, others can do a Ms Skinny 30 day challenge. For any of my male readers and my bro, I will look into one for you and Adrian to do. We have plenty of options and anyone else wanting to participate please add your ab program and send me an email, which I will add in our comments below.

Over and out until we meet again xxDani

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, but  must be felt with the heart" - Helen Keller

31 comments :

  1. join me too for ab challenege.tt12 it is for me..........i missed it because of power cuts here.......yea i can do it again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Can't wait! I will create a CHALLENGE tab on my page so we have all our info centralised. xxDani

      Delete
  2. awesome loving it Dani.x[michelle Fesolai]

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a week for you and the family Dani! Both birthdays looked SENSATIONAL! Bet they loved it xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had so much fun planning these 2 birthdays and they both had such a great time, which is the end result I am chasing :-) now to plan Mietta's 3rd bday in Oct (Adrian is 2 days after) and Oscar turns 5 in November! So I have one month off until it all happens again! Don't even talk about Christmas WTH?

      Delete
  4. I'm in for the abs challenge :) Great pics and a great party table :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dani, I am a Brisbane girl ex(budget constraints)FYM.I would love to join in, thanks Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No probs Amanda, glad you could join us and you already have the tools and the secret! EAT CLEAN!!! XxDani

      Delete
  6. What great birthday parties you have there! Umm.. where did you get all that energy?
    I love the decorations you've done for Zali's bday, the theme's so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie, I figure it's the last 1st bday bash I will ever host so why not make it that little bit special. Glad you could join us with this mini ab challenge x

      Delete
  7. I'd love to do the ABS challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent Jess!!!! More info to follow as I set up my blog to centralise all the challenge info. Thanks for your patience xD

      Delete
  8. You did an awesome job! I loved getting to meet your family and loved watching the pies win with you later in the evening! Thanks babe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh you made it all look so much prettier! Thanks again for capturing my baby girls 1st bday and for sharing another good win that night. GO PIES!!!!! xD

      Delete
  9. I would love to do the ab challenge Dani. Count me in. And I am in awe of Zali's beautiful party spread. You have done a magnificent job! xx (Pauline)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gorgeous. I had so much fun doing the party! Glad you will be joining us with the ab challenge. XxD

      Delete
  10. Love the look of those cakes Danni, the icing on Zali's looked very beautiful. Also I'm up for the ab challenge I will get a program from Fitting in Fitness. I have a question, I know your a busy mamma however i'm having trouble uploading photo's from my I phone to my blog. Any advice when you you get the time? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodie. I had a ball doing the whole party thing. Glad you will join us with the ab challenge as I have Jackie's program for you to follow :-)))) regarding the app on my iphone, same, I can't load pics either. So I just upload on my laptop. Which is a bit of a shame as I'd like to do it on the go a bit more to save me time in the evenings. Look forward to seeing you soon xD

      Delete
  11. So I just realised my son Ezra and Zali share the exact same birth date!! Beautiful birthday party, and love the cake and decor, looks awesome. Karem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, lerrrrrv the name Ezra!!! In fact it was on our boys name list but thankfully we got our 2+2 :-) thanks so much for your kind words.
      Hope you come back soon xxDani

      Delete
  12. wow what a week!! love the birthday pics.. and that curry looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvette, now a month to relax until 2 more bdays in Rocktober!!!! :-)))) XD

      Delete
  13. I love your food!!! All of it!!! When can I come over ??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome anytime xx PS: might see you next year at DP Expo?

      Delete
  14. And a very, very happy birthday to your beautiful Zali !! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hon, she had a ball!!! She didn't know what was going on but I had a ball watching her :-)

      Delete
  15. Happy birthday....fabulous photos

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment, I love it! I will reply back as soon as I can.

Much love Xx Dani