Tuesday 26 June 2012

I'm planning a sugar free challenge. You in??

Hi there, when I participate in these Fit Yummy Mummy challenges throughout the year I also like to do a mini "sugar free" challenge.

I plan on quitting sugar next week! For 2 whole weeks!!! Who's with me???

Now the rules are typically no foods that have added sugar of any kind. It did include limiting your fruit intake to 3 serves per day, maple syrup, honey, agave etc... however for those that are doing this for the first time it may be a little too much! Yes I am referring to you Celeste ;-) kidding babe but I do know there are others that would like to join me so please mark this date in your diaries:

2 WEEK SUGAR FREE CHALLENGE

Monday 2nd July to Sunday 15th July 2012 (14 days)

Now I will also accept those girlfriends that only wish to participate for a week. That would be a great effort as well. 

I will provide more info in my posts this week so we are all on the same page. 

My meals and workout today.

Breakfast
Sultana bran with milk

Pre workout
apple puree

This morning I did a workout from the Transformation Kit and sheesh, do I have muscle awareness! I am so glad I only need to workout for 15 minutes in the comfort of my own home.

Post workout shake
Green smoothie (remember I'm adding 10 servings of fruit & veg in my day!)
spinach, banana, milk & protein powder. Added vanilla essence and cinnamon.


I just blitzed all these ingrediants in my magic bullet (mine is actually called a Sheffield, reminds me of that show The Nanny" and her whiny voice Mr Sheeeeeeeeeeeffieeeeeeeeld!) 

Why spinach I hear you asking?? Do you remember this guy???


Well spinach is well known as the superfood that gave Popeye the Sailor Man his bulging muscles. The content of spinach was originally thought the iron power food source however scientists have learned that nitrates are the true energy boosting ingredients in all vegetables. So eat your vegetables!!!

Top 10 reasons to eat spinach

  1. low calories and it's a very nutrient-dence food 
  2. great source of protein, vitamin K, folate, calcium, vitamin C, B2, potassium etc..
  3. it's readily available, grab a bunch or bag from your fresh food market!
  4. very versatile eg: my green smoothie, use fresh in salads, steam as a side serve
  5. a hearty health food
  6. loaded with flavonoids which act as antioxidants 
  7. keeps your brain young and agile
  8. promotes gastrointestinal health
  9. excellent source of iron 
  10. it gives you muscles like Popeye :-)
Lunch
Falafel, tomato & cucumber salad with yogurt



Afternoon snack
hard boiled egg with veggie sticks with hommus 

Dinner
Tuna rissoles (will add picture tonight)

Have a wonderful day and please leave me a comment regarding the Sugar Challenge. Do you want to do 1 or 2 weeks with me?? XxDani



19 comments :

  1. I'll try the sugar free challenge -- though I have no desire to be a "yummy mummy." LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWESOME!!!! Look forward to sharing this journey with you. I tried posting on your page, did you get it?

      Delete
    2. I did get it! Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I really want to do this, but the thought of going sugar free freaks me out. Why is that? I went SF right after having our first babe and I looked/felt the best I ever have. So why do I feel this why? It's crazy! What do you do whne you are craving a treat? Mama here really adores her 3 PI's for the week. Sell me on this, please?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole Larson ~ has left a new comment on your post "I'm planning a sugar free challenge. You in??

    I really want to do this, but the thought of going sugar free freaks me out. Why is that? I went SF right after having our first babe and I looked/felt the best I ever have. So why do I feel this why? It's crazy! What do you do whne you are craving a treat? Mama here really adores her 3 PI's for the week. Sell me on this, please?! ;-)

    SELL YOU ON IT NICOLE??? You just sold me on it! I also remember looking and feeling great when I eliminated sugar post babies!!! WE CAN DO THIS BABE!!! We don't have to go to the extreme and completely cut it out, baby steps right. I want you in and need your support and vice versa these next 2 weeks!!! Let me know xx Dani

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok....OMG I already am worried and freaking out and I only said yes, I havent even started! What do you do when you want sugary foods 'cos suger is my downfall? I am such a sweet tooth. I hear almonds are good. Anything else? What about if you drink coffee with sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok you will need to choose from honey, agave or stevia?? I reckon we take baby steps and omit all white, processed, added sugar type of foods and then later in the year we can get a bit more serious about this sugar addiction!!! I will provide some sweet tooth treats for you to have when you have a craving. Although I am also thinking that perhaps once a week you can have something sugary. What do you think, rather than going cold turkey? Let me know your thoughts? XxDani

      Delete
  5. Yeah - I'm with kell! I need just a tiny bit of sugar in my coffee???????????????????????? And I NEED my coffee if I'm giving up sugar LOL!
    I'm in! I pretty much am processed sugar free - So I think I can manage two weeks..I will start with one though...Now I can have maple syrup and honey yeah??

    I have just stocked up on natural yoghurt - and had it with frozen raspeberrie..YUMMO - that would be the perfect treat Kell!

    I'm gonna get my friend Shell onto this challenge too..She needs to fit into a dress by Oct...I'll drag ger kicking and screaming!!!!

    Great post Dan....Keep em up..Love it xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me again.. You do realise that this is the entire 2 weeks of the school holidays??? A veritable minefield for added sugar!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babe there will always be an excuse with us, school holidays, birthday parties, girls night outs dinner/desserts etc....IT"S NOW OR NEVER!!!!!! Happy to bend the rules though and have honey, agave, maple and then when we are really serious later this year we can TRY GOING COLD TURKEY! Even in your coffee babe. If I can do it and I used to have 2 tsp you can do it!!! You will appreciate the taste of the actual coffee bean taste and flavour once you get rid of that sugar!!!

      Give me one week of school hols Cecil ;-)))))))

      Delete
    2. PS: the kids can still have sugar ;-))))))

      Delete
  7. Hellloooooo Dani. Michelle Hui of FYM world here. Ok.. no sugar for two weeks. I think I can handle it since I've been almost sugar free the whole time. Just need to watch the other sneaky sneaky processed ones. how do we keep each other accountable ya?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!! Knew I could count on you Michelle!!! Let's just touch base here and let each other know how we are tracking with our no sugar temptation xx

      Delete
  8. You are sooo right, there will ALWAYS be an excuse. I checked back to see the dates and I see it's over the 4th of July, my favorite holiday. I plan on bringing my favorite homemade icecream cake to this party....ahhh! I'm taking a deep breath right now and I'm going to say it....COUNT ME IN! I'm giving this challenge my whole heart and soul. I CAN DO THIS. WE CAN DO THIS. Last night I got off the computer and was thinking how crazy that I should get nervous at the thought of getting rid of sugar for 2 weeks. I mean how pathetic is that? That just tells me that I need to get rid of that junk that much more! I'M SOOOO IN!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicole Larson has left a new comment on your post "I'm planning a sugar free challenge. You in??

    You are sooo right, there will ALWAYS be an excuse. I checked back to see the dates and I see it's over the 4th of July, my favorite holiday. I plan on bringing my favorite homemade icecream cake to this party....ahhh! I'm taking a deep breath right now and I'm going to say it....COUNT ME IN! I'm giving this challenge my whole heart and soul. I CAN DO THIS. WE CAN DO THIS. Last night I got off the computer and was thinking how crazy that I should get nervous at the thought of getting rid of sugar for 2 weeks. I mean how pathetic is that? That just tells me that I need to get rid of that junk that much more! I'M SOOOO IN!

    * * * * * * *

    SO GLAD YOU'RE IN NICOLE!!! Not sure why you're comments aren't loading in my posts though?? V strange?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your idea of no sugar!
    I have been on a no sugar and flower diet for 4 weeks now! I have never felt better than since I stopped eating sugar! In the beginning I had so much headache (Guess what I must have been addicted to sugar)! I don't even fell like eating sugar anymore! For me it is harder to skip all white flower :D
    Good luck to all of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!!! Your support means so much xxDani

      Delete
  11. No sugar in my coffee - and I'm on day 4. So not missing it love....Thanks
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOW GOOD!!! So glad you got your sugar free shopping done tonight xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment, I love it! I will reply back as soon as I can.

Much love Xx Dani